Questions for A/C Gurus

Didn't see this come across the first time, so I'm resending...

Hi all,

        I'm trying to hook up the A/C in my '86 16v.  The deal is the low
pressure line at the compressor was disconnected for an undetermined amount
of time (no more than a year).  I've taken out the compressor and the drier.
I've blown compressed air through all of the lines.  They flow and now major
amounts of debris came out.  Here are my 2 questions:

1.  The new drier is vacuum sealed.  When I start to remove the caps for the
inbound and outbound connections, the seal is broken and air enters the
drier.  Obviously, I have to take the caps off to hook it up.  If the drier
is placed in an open system for up to a week, does this present a problem?
Should I install the new drier last and then close the system?  I intend on
getting a vacuum pulled before refilling.

2.  The compressor is suspect and I want to get it tested.  Can it be tested
at a shop without it being installed in the car?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v