my car is fast again! (a bit lengthy)

note: i broke my original post into 2 easier to digest posts. see speedo
musings for more exciting thoughts!

so after discovering that my speedometer was reading ~12mph slower than my
actual speed, i took it out and replaced with the 160mph motometer from the
old rocc (the odometers were off by less than 400 miles. weird.). the speed
sensors for the cruise control are different between the 2 speedometers.
after being pissed off, i remembered that i had 2 spare cruise control
units. one of them had the motometer speed sensor. i think this is the most
obscure spare part i have ever had. i was pumped. anyway, i think my car
being slow woes were due to the speedometer. turns out i've been going way
faster than i thought, to the tune of averaging 95+ mph on the highway when
i thought i was doing 80. i thought i had some trouble getting the car to
100mph before; again, it turns out that what i thought was 100mph was
actually 115(!), which i happily verified on my hour long commute today.
other thoughts:
1) everything seems real slow now. i thought that 80 mph felt faster in my
car before--i thought it was just because of old car+noise+high rpms in the
rocc.
2) i'm a lot less frustrated on the road now by all the "slow drivers". my
speedometer fix means that they now seem faster now too :) the corollary to
this is that atlanta drivers must fricken' fly, cause it never seemed slow
to me on rt 400, even with the bum speedo.
3) working speedo is the ultimate mod. i feel like i've gained about 20hp.
actually, ultimate mod would be having a speedo that read 10mph too fast,
although i guess that would be cheating...
4) i'm an idiot sometimes. i diagnosed the slow car problem based on a
stretch of road in atlanta that i drove all the time. when i punched it at
the light from a rolling start, i would pass a landmark and check my speed.
this was remarkably consistent. my old 16v would hit this point at 65 mph,
my g/f's saturn l300 v6 would hit it at 61ish, and my vr6 mk2 gti (which i
traded for this rocc) hit it at 71. this one hit it at 58 mph, which is why
i thought it was so slow. actual speed is probably closer to 68-70, which is
competitive with that fast-as-crap vr6, right where it should be ;) without
the gobs of low-end torque of course. in my quest to find out what was
wrong, i did the following over the course of nearly 2 years: electrical
checked EVERYTHING, replaced +/- cables, swapped out ENTIRE fuel system
piece by piece, including ecu, fuel distro, injectors, fuel pumps. swapped
out spark plugs, coil, wires, distributor, knock box, knock sensor, o2
sensor, coolant temp sensor, thermo time switch, swapped heads, installed tt
header (thought i might have a clogged cat), swapped a disk caliper (it
actually was binding a bit), swapped cams. checked timing, mixture, cam
timing, etc ad nauseum, and tinkered with it constantly. checked compression
like i was checking my oil.  checked throttle switches like it was my job.
i think that's everything. i even thought the speedo was off, cause my butt
dyno was telling me the car was fast, but when i timed the car once it
seemed ok. don't know how this happened. i was at the end of my rope,
because the car always revved smooth and ran great, so i had no clue what
was wrong. needless to say, i'm ecstatic now. and just to repeat, i'm a
moron sometimes.

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP