speedo inaccurate?

in houma, la. wondering why everyone is driving so damn slow. time myself
next to mile markers, and it turns out my speedo is reading 10mph too slow.
near as i can tell, it's exactly 10mph off when it reads 60, 70, and 80.
weird thing is the odometer is accurate. i changed out the upper speedo
cable last week, but i don't see how this could affect anything.  at some
point in its life this speedo has been accurate at 80 mph (i timed it last
year). also, now that it's cold it makes this wailing noise until it's
warmer, and the needle bounces a bit until it stops.  something in there is
slipping when cold, but again, i don't see how this would affect anything
when warm. if it was a tranny/gearing issue, i would expect it to be
proportionally off, no? like 10% instead of a flat 10mph? on a related note,
maybe this is why i've been thinking my car has been slow x 1yr ;)
i keep saying, but dyno is working, but it just isn't FAST. hmmm.

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...