From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of James S. Danda
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 7:24 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Downpipe/Manifold Exhaust leak?

Hi,
I'm new to the list. I apologize in advance if this is a redundant question.

I have a 1986 16v scirocco and there is a leak in the downpipe. I can't see
where it is coming from, but I can feel the exhaust leak at a flange point
between the exhaust manifold and the downpipe. Its not at the gasket, its in
the 'shock thingy' that absorbs the twist of the engine. I'm guessing the
downpipe fits in this shockabsorber and a gasket of some sort needs
replacing. Since I cant get a good look at it and have never seen one
before, I am only guessing.

Is this common and a DYI fix? Do I need a complete downpipe or is there a
gasket in there that needs replacing?

Thanks!
Jim