OT: Beemer beyond help?

Dan Smith wrote:
> So you can get the old oil out? ... the mechanic who looked
> it over said it had turned into goo.

I don't know.  My feeling is that the mechanic, having to
put his reputation on the line, might not want to take a
chance on flushing the engine and it not working.  But the
owner, pressed for cash, might be willing to give it a try.

If the oil was dino oil, it could have coked.  I'd drop the
oil pan and clean whatever I can see with some cleaner
(brake cleaner? gasoline? motor flush in a squirt can?
other suggestions?) and a brush. Once the head is
cleaned up (valve job? at least mill the head flat), put it
all back together, start it up, and run some more engine
flush or a can of Marvel Mystery Oil in it. Then change
the oil and filter, and change the oil and filter again in
another 500 miles.

That's what I'd do if I wanted to try to save some money.
That said, try it at your own risk.

Kent