OT: Beemer beyond help?

Dan Smith wrote:
> Basically, a hose blew and the headgasket is shot and the
> head is very warped.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.  I can't offer anything specific,
but here are some thoughts:

a) having a pro fix it will be expensive

b) there are places on-line that sell remanufactured BMW engines
    I'd price one out for comparison purposes. You'll still have to
    figure in labor charges. Don't forget shipping charges.

c) there are also places on-line that sell used (i.e. salvaged out of
    a wreck) engines.  Price those for comparison, too.

d) if it didn't make a lot of loud noise before it died (I hope he
    shut it down before then), I'd pull the head, have it rebuilt
    locally, put it back on, then run some engine flush through
    the engine to clean up any cooked oil, change the oil and
    drive it until it dies (again). This is probably your cheapest
    way out. And if you pull the head yourself, it will cost even
    less.

HTH,
Kent