{Vent} I keep this car why?

>Yes, it takes time to get it aligned properly, it took me 5 or six tries to
>get it right.  You need a helper in the car.  Here is what seemed to work
>for
>me.  Disconnect the main splined rod and manually switch the gears from
>inside
>the hood to get a feel on how they work and find where reverse is.  Go
>inside
>the car and put the gear shifter where reverse should be, you know, you
>have
>to push down on the shifter then to the left and up and have a friend hold
>it
>in that position.  Then get under the car and manually select reverse, and
>then
>re-attach the main shift rod.  Good luck.
>

>Brian 86 16v
>98 Jetta GLX Vr6

I've found that it works best to put the shifter in the 1st gear position,
as it's the one that's most affected by the linkeage adjustments.  With good
bushings (of course!) manually set the selector on the tranny in the first
gear position, then, from the driver's seat, (helps to have someone else to
hold it there)  put the shifter in the 1st gear position, against the
"stopper," then pull it away just a hair to give yourself a bit of a buffer.
  Then, tighten the clamp back down. This will work on the 1st try every
time once you get the hang of it.  :)

HTH

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA