Rattleing Waterpump Pulley,Why so noisy?

Hi Everyone , thanks for all the help with my
questions you guys ! I never got up on here (scirocco
email) til lately and I got my 87 8v about 2 1/2 years
ago , that had 275,000 miles on it 40000 of which I
put on and it was a rebuilt motor , then sold that
after I got my 87 16v a little over a year ago, the
16v runs great but had been sitting for a few years ,
so I've got most of the major stuff fixed and am just
fixing the small anoying stuff .
and speaking of annoying , that pulley , its 2 parts
(why?) and it rattles quietly all the time , I
replaced it with a junkyard one but still the same .
Whats the deal with that thing ? why is it like that
in the middle ? is there an alternative or fix ?
Thanks , Aaron in San Jose -