Charging system

I have had charging system problems for a while now.  I have two known
working alternators (I had them checked at a shop), and three good
alternator wire sets.  No combination of any of these will do the trick.
Sometimes the battery light and such will come on, and sometimes it won't,
but the car runs off the battery until the charge is gone, and then nothing.
  The only thing I think it might be is a while ago, I noticed the exciter
wire had been severed by my fan, so I replaced it.  Before this, the car
would run off the alternator, but the battery would not recharge.  Thinking
this was my problem, I fixed all this and nothing.  What else could have
gone bad to make this happen?

TIA

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA