MC bench bleeding

I know I've seen this procedure before but it's not in the Bentley so it must have come with the new MC.
I didn't keep it and like an idiot didn't read it.
Can anybody provide an overview?
Like how do you connect the brake line connections or do you just let brake fluid squirt across the room when it's finally bled?
And do you need to tilt the master cylinder so the brake line connection is up to get all the air out?
And how come I didn't need to do any of this crap when putting an MC in my nephew's car?

It's amazing the stuff you never need until you get to be an old fart!
TIA
Dan