Insurance

Depends on how you insure it. They will assume it is a typical car,
therefore blue book value, unless you inform them it is otherwise. They can
tell you what that value is too. If you have serious mods, you probably
should have an appraisal to back up the value officially. And there will be
set limits on stuff like stereos without an appraisal.
Mine both needed appraisal for the "old car" insurance, and I was really
surprised to see what the value of my stock MkI was. Well worth having it
appraised. But they look at how the vehicle fares in crashes, the cost of
repairs and how often people crash them to set the rates, and where you
live, that sort of thing. I'm sure someone else will chime in who works for
an insurance company.
Cathy