E-Brake problems..help!!!

Man, this e-brake is a pain in the ass!!!  Problem:  E brake lever won't
hold on it's gear.  So I bought a used one in better shape.  The car ia a
rabbit GTi.  There is a little tab of metal that holds the e brake gear from
coming loose and not working like mine.  When I try to put the little gear's
slot on to the metal tab, I can't line up the e-brake lever to put the
swivel bolt thru the holes.  This might not make much sense to all of you
becasue I don't know the exact terminology for the parts but can someone
please help with this P.O.S. before I lose it?  Are there any secrets to
this??

Ryan