A/C Help Needed

Hi all,

	I'm having problems with the A/C on my '86 16v.  I took it to a shop to
evacuate the system, so I could replace the dryer and refill it.  It turns
out the low pressure side hose at the compressor was disconnected.  By my
best guess, it's probably been like that for anywhere from 1 month to 1 1/2
years.  The guy at the shop said that I'll need to clean out the system by
running solvents through the compressor and hoses to clean out the dirt
which will otherwise clog the system.  He also pointed out that there was
oil all around the compressor, probably due to a bad front compressor seal.
So here are my questions:

*  What type of solvent do I need to use to flush the system?
*  How do I go about flushing the hoses (air compressor?)?
*  Can the seal on the compressor be replaced or do I need a new compressor?

I know some of you would suggest dumping the A/C altogether.  But while I'd
like to lose the weight and parasitic drag, I need the A/C for defogging in
the Spring and Fall.  Any how-to's or BTDT's would be appreciated.  TIA.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v