need body work/insurance advice

Yep, your '84 rocco IS going to be totaled.  No doubt about that.  The only
thing you can do is get all your recepts ready to show the adjuster.  They
will low ball you the first time, but you can fight it and they usually give
ya a better deal the second time.
Once you settle on an amount that you will be getting back, then you tell
the adjuster that you want to buy the car back.  Prolly you will have to pay
around $300 of your settlement back to the insurance, but you get to keep
your car.
At this point you do some looking around.  Find a body shop in your local
area that is a "private" body shop.  One that does not work as a dirrect
repair shop FOR the insurance companys.  This will garantee your car to be
fixed RIGHT!  it might cost a littl emore, but its worth it, believe me.
It should cost you around $1000, prolly less to have the car "pulled" on the
frame machine so all the door gaps and such line up again.  As long as you
can unbolt stuff yourself, go ahead and change your own bumper etc.  And you
have your rocco back, and prolly a little cash in your pocket as well.
I work at a NON dirrect repair body shop here in vermont.  My mk1 rocco and
I were coustomers at this body shop before i worked there for a similar
reason, this is what i did, and it workd out great. :)  HTH!

Jason Arms (Essex, VT)

'87 Scirocco 16v (mein Scirocco 16v befindet sich im Winterschlaf)
'81 Scirocco S (mein Scirocco MKI S befindet sich im Winterschlaf)
'78 Rabbit L (16v project to be for sale opon completion)
'64 Sunroof Beetle (livin' a new life)
'93 Nissan Pathfinder SE V6 (4.5" suspension lift)
http://community.webshots.com/user/xscirocco16vx
ICQ# 91932895
AIM Username: xscirocco16vx