  From: Daun Yeagley
  To: Wolfsbrg8v@aol.com ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 3:27 PM
  Subject: Re: need body work/insurance advice

  --- Wolfsbrg8v@aol.com wrote:

  > Anyway, I was hoping for some advice if anybody on the
  > list
  > has been-there/done-that -- somebody told me that since
  > my
  > car is an 84, their insurance company may not pay for the
  > body
  > work but claim the car is "totalled" instead.  Is there
  > any strategy
  > or way I can avoid this?

  Not likely.

    The claims adjuster hasn't
  > looked at
  > the rocco yet and I sure would like to get the damage
  > fixed right,
  > not settle for some paltry "blue book" payment amount.

  You might be able to up the blue book amount a little by
  digging up every scrap of paper on the car you can find.
  (receipts etc.)  Also, clean the hell outta the car before
  the adjuster looks at it.  (I think that really helped me
  when I wrecked an '87 a few years ago.)  However, the car
  is still gonna be totalled as it's gonna be much more
  costly to fix than to replace in the eyes of the insurance
  company.

  If it's as bad as it sounds, you might be better off taking
  the check and trying to find a straight shell to transfer
  goodies to.  If it's been hit that hard it's very tough /
  impossible to make it totally "right" again.

  Sorry to hear about your loss.  :(

  =====
  Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
  '81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
  For Sale: '80 Scirocco S, '81 Scirocco, '82 Scirocco.
  "I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong."