Driver's side motor mount question

I recently installed a VW motorsport tranny mount in my car (works great BTW)
and noticed the driver side MM was not centered between the inside walls of the
hangar bracket.

I figured everything needed to be realigned so I loosened all the motor mounts
and went for a spin around the block to try and center everything up.  The
front, passenger and tranny mounts all lined up nicely, however the drivers
side was still about 3/8's - 1/2" too far forward.

Now here's what I don't get, I used a small pry bar to push the driver side
mount back slightly and it slid back on the bolt very easy, too easy it seems.
However it didn't stay centered and slid back forward.  It felt like there
wasn't any resistance between the mount and the bolt  The rubber looks to be in
good shape and it doesn't sag.  Is it normal for it to move front to back or is
this a sign it needs to be replaced?  Or does this mean the front or rear MM is
off?

I'm going to replace it but I was concerned it was a symptom of another problem
since the other MMs lined up correctly.

TIA!
Matt
'87 16v