'79 getting poor fuel mileage

It's getting about 20 mpg.  The car runs great, but my bro said I was
puffing black smoke when I got on it.

I've replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, and injector
o-rings.  Ignition timing at idle is maybe 7 degrees BTDC.

This thing also has an EGR valve (yuch), with no lambda control.

Should I just take it to a shop and have them set the CO% at idle?  Or
is there something else I could try first?  Maybe a warmup regulator?  I
have plenty of spare parts...I was just looking for some ideas before I
took it somewheres. =20

Thanks!

Also, re: my brother's wrecked car...not even 24 hours had passed and he
already picked up the "new" '77 rabbit!

Joe Doty
IT/Development
joe@lcnetwork.com=20