From: Tobias >< [mailto:scirocco16v88@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 6:31 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Headgasket work on a 2l 16v

The stock gaskets seem to have plenty of trouble associated to them - and I
found the one on the new motor to be leaking at the back right corner -
little bit of oil atop the coolant and some white stuff.

If you leave the motor in and yank the head .. cleaning the surfaces is
important right?! I don't suppose there is a good way of keeping the crap
you scrape off from going into the oil and coolant passages.

Is it necessary to drain the motor completely, or enough to get levels below

the mating surface?

The metal headgasket to replace the paper one should that from an A3 2.0
right? Apart from the guide pin hole needing to be drilled, can everything
be left as is?

And finally, how much time should I allot for this?

Thanks.