Wheel Bearing Replacement

------=____1050948679166_A8mKgJpRbM

So can someone explain how this is possible?  how do they work?
Thx.

> From: Euroroc II <flaatr@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2003/04/21 Mon PM 01:24:43 EDT
> To: Ryan H <rhock99@epix.net>, "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
> CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement
>

> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45210
>
> -Raffi
>
> At 12:58 PM 4/21/2003 -0400, Ryan H wrote:
> >Where do you see such tools?  I'm looking for them, but can't find em?  Thanx.
> >

> > > From: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
> > > Date: 2003/04/21 Mon AM 11:17:10 EDT
> > > To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> > > Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement
> > >
> > > There is a tool that allows you to replace the wheel bearing with the
> > hub carrier still installed on the car.
> > > IMO it's just way easier than dicking around with removing the hub
> > carrier and setting up a press.
> > > The tool can be rented from www.germanautoparts.com which is also a
> > good place to buy the bearings or www.rapidparts.com
> > > Dan

------=____1050948679166_A8mKgJpRbM

At 12:58 PM 4/21/2003 -0400, Ryan H wrote:<br>
I'm looking for them, but can't find em?&nbsp; Thanx.<br><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; From: &quot;Dan Bubb&quot; &lt;jdbubb@ix.netcom.com&gt;<br>
&gt; Date: 2003/04/21 Mon AM 11:17:10 EDT<br>
&gt; To: &lt;scirocco-l@scirocco.org&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; There is a tool that allows you to replace the wheel bearing with
the hub carrier still installed on the car.<br>
&gt; IMO it's just way easier than dicking around with removing the hub
carrier and setting up a press.<br>
&gt; The tool can be rented from
&gt; Dan <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; ----- Original Message ----- <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; From: Eric D Singer <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 9:47 AM<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Subject: Wheel Bearing Replacement<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm getting ready to do my own front wheel bearing replacement on my '84 scirocco and I remember coming across a procedure someone place on their web site.&nbsp; Does anyone know the website I talking about?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm also looking for a list of tools that I'm going to need (minus a machine press) to perform this and well as any miscellaneous parts I may need.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; A friend of mine suggested a method that did not require a machine press for the bearing.&nbsp; First step is to get the old bearing out of the housing using whatever brutal method you choose.&nbsp; He made the point that the bearing is going to be replaced anyway, so mangle the old one if necessary to get it out.&nbsp; The second step is to place the new bearing in the freezer for a while.&nbsp; The third step is to place the housing in the oven.&nbsp; With the difference between the hot expanded metal and the cold bearing, the new bearing will slip right in.&nbsp; Has anyone tried this?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Eric Singer<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; '84 8v Scirocco<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Trinity, NC<br>
&gt; <br>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:esinger@northstate.net";>Eric D Singer</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Monday, April 21, 2003 9:47 AM
<dd>I'm getting ready to do my own front wheel bearing replacement on my '84 scirocco and I remember coming across a procedure someone place on their web site.&nbsp; Does anyone know the website I talking about?</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>I'm also looking for a list of tools that I'm going to need (minus a machine press) to perform this and well as any miscellaneous parts I may need.</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>A friend of mine suggested a method that did not require a machine press for the bearing.&nbsp; First step is to get the old bearing out of the housing using whatever brutal method you choose.&nbsp; He made the point that the bearing is going to be replaced anyway, so mangle the old one if necessary to get it out.&nbsp; The second step is to place the new bearing in the freezer for a while.&nbsp; The third step is to place the housing in the oven.&nbsp; With the difference between the hot expanded metal and the cold bearing, the new bearing will slip right in.&nbsp; Has anyone tried this?</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Thanks,</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Trinity, NC</font>