help w/ strange timing problems...

noticed i've been running a little sluggish lately.  checked the usual
stuff, and noticed my timing was off. when i checked with my adjustable
light, i set the timing using the mark and the light at 0.  then i double
checked the tdc mark, and it was at ~3-4' advance on the light (instead of
6, where it should be). at 0, the timing mark was still on.  moreover, when
i revved the engine, i only get about 7-8' total advance (per the light
again). swapped knock box, same result.  hmmm. i don't get this at all. i'm
thinking i have a problem with the light--i mean, when the timing mark is
set, then the tdc mark HAS to be 6' when double checked with the light,
right? i'll try with a new light tomorrow, but am i missing something real
obvious?

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA-->Soon to be New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...