Techtonics 16V exhaust (long worth it)

--=====================_129600115==.ALT

no more leak... no rattles.... black paint going on this morning!

The belts are F'd up. I mean one pulley rest on another. You can't replace
belts without having to remove at least 2 pulleys to swap out belts. What a
pain in the ass!!! Hole new meaning to 'interference motor'

it's running good now!
-Raffi

At 09:22 AM 4/20/2003 -0700, Jeff Toomasson wrote:
> [...]
>problems and one HUGE complaint... The problem I have is that the pipe that
>attaches to the downpipe/cat always comes loose, nice fat leak! I had this
>problem with my Autotech exhaust and stock exhaust with the stock downpipe
>so I don't blame TT... I do blame them for the lame-ass tail pipe they ship
>with the 16V kit. First the pipe is soooooo long it is a liability since
>people 3 feet away from your bumper can trip over it, yes even with US
>bumpers it sticks out past the bumper and second it''s only a single pipe!
>I always like the traditional 16V double staggered pipes.
>
>Problem 1 the slipping pipe
>I always liked my 8V setup where the cat bolt in on these cool 3 bolt
>flanges and I found my self thinking hey! I should have one of those added
>to my exhaust so it won't come apart any more. Then I thought Hey! I should
>have the cat cut out completely and have a flange added to the other side
>too so I can use a test pipe.... then I thought well I might as well get
>the test pipe made up too! What a great idea.
>
>Problem 2 where is the other tail pipe
>So I bought a stainless tip from TT (retail price $100) and it would not
>work since the hanger is welded just in front of the bend and the tip is
>tooooo long... that's when the artistry of Tony came in... he looked at
>pictures of a stock 16V tail pipe and set to work using 2.25" tubing. He
>measured and bent then measured and bent then welded and measured and
>then... you get the picture... Wow this came out perfect! the hardest part
>was getting the old single pipe out of the Borla. This took him and another
>guy 20+ minutes to do. This is the way TT shoulda sold this system... The
>rear hanger is now incorporated into the clamp and not the tip, I wanted it
>this way. Hmmm I wonder how this would look using 2.5" tubing?
>
>Before
>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/flaatr/vwp?.dir=/exhaust&.src=ph&.dnm=P1010030.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/flaatr/lst%3f%26.dir=/exhaust%26.src=ph%26.view=t
>
>After
>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/flaatr/vwp?.dir=/exhaust&.src=ph&.dnm=P1010084.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/flaatr/lst%3f%26.dir=/exhaust%26.src=ph%26.view=t
>

>Tony works for a Midas shop here in Northern California, 215 W El Camino
>Real in Mountain View (650) 968-9977 to be exact (For all he did I have to
>give him and the shop a plug) and is totally cool and talented with a
>welder. He spent almost 3.5 hours doing these two mods and didn't mind me
>standing around taking pictures and making comments or suggestions... If
>you need work and your in this area he is your man!
>
>Quote was for 2 hours labor and about $30 for parts... not including the
>test p<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/search/mailsig/*http://search.yahoo.com>The
>New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

--=====================_129600115==.ALT

no more leak... no rattles.... black paint going on this
morning!<br><br>
The belts are F'd up. I mean one pulley rest on another. You can't
replace belts without having to remove at least 2 pulleys to swap out
belts. What a pain in the ass!!! Hole new meaning to 'interference
motor'<br><br>
it's running good now!<br>
-Raffi<br><br>
At 09:22 AM 4/20/2003 -0700, Jeff Toomasson wrote:<br>
any different?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
How'd you make out with alt belt saga?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
L8R, JT<br><br>

<dl>
<dd>I've been running a full stainless TT exhaust with a Borla muffler
and <br>

<dd>resonator with a TT down pipe for about 1 year now and have had a few

<dd>problems and one HUGE complaint... The problem I have is that the
pipe that <br>

<dd>attaches to the downpipe/cat always comes loose, nice fat leak! I had
this <br>

<dd>problem with my Autotech exhaust and stock exhaust with the stock
downpipe <br>

<dd>so I don't blame TT... I do blame them for the lame-ass tail pipe
they ship <br>

<dd>with the 16V kit. First the pipe is soooooo long it is a liability
since <br>

<dd>people 3 feet away from your bumper can trip over it, yes even with
US <br>

<dd>bumpers it sticks out past the bumper and second it''s only a single
pipe! <br>

<dd>Problem 1 the slipping pipe<br>

<dd>I always liked my 8V setup where the cat bolt in on these cool 3 bolt

<dd>flanges and I found my self thinking hey! I should have one of those
added <br>

<dd>to my exhaust so it won't come apart any more. Then I thought Hey! I
should <br>

<dd>have the cat cut out completely and have a flange added to the other
side <br>

<dd>too so I can use a test pipe.... then I thought well I might as well
get <br>

<dd>Problem 2 where is the other tail pipe<br>

<dd>So I bought a stainless tip from TT (retail price $100) and it would
not <br>

<dd>work since the hanger is welded just in front of the bend and the tip
is <br>

<dd>tooooo long... that's when the artistry of Tony came in... he looked
at <br>

<dd>pictures of a stock 16V tail pipe and set to work using 2.25&quot;
tubing. He <br>

<dd>measured and bent then measured and bent then welded and measured and

<dd>then... you get the picture... Wow this came out perfect! the hardest
part <br>

<dd>was getting the old single pipe out of the Borla. This took him and
another <br>

<dd>guy 20+ minutes to do. This is the way TT shoulda sold this system...
The <br>

<dd>rear hanger is now incorporated into the clamp and not the tip, I
wanted it <br>

<dd>this way. Hmmm I wonder how this would look using 2.5&quot;
tubing?<br><br>

<dd>Before<br>

<dd>After<br>

<dd>Tony works for a Midas shop here in Northern California, 215 W El
Camino <br>

<dd>Real in Mountain View (650) 968-9977 to be exact (For all he did I
have to <br>

<dd>give him and the shop a plug) and is totally cool and talented with a

<dd>welder. He spent almost 3.5 hours doing these two mods and didn't
mind me <br>

<dd>standing around taking pictures and making comments or suggestions...
If <br>

<dd>Quote was for 2 hours labor and about $30 for parts... not including
the <br>

<dd>test
p<a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/search/mailsig/*http://search.yahoo.com";>The