De : scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]De la part de Dan
Envoye : 18 avril, 2003 02:50
A : scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Objet : Re: [tech] buying new battery.. recomendations?

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 06:40:54PM -0700, T Berk wrote:

> Ascetics are one thing, I like the Sears battery for it's color scheme
> (interior decorating skills intact baby) but the _main_ thing is buy
> the good but cheap battery (2 1/2 years?! Sheesh! What's up Florida,
> the humidity?) and save some dough. Fiscal responsibility makes for
> happy husband.

First off, there are really only 2 or 3 manufacturers that make most all
auto batteries, no matter what brand name is outside them.  (Johnson
Controls is the largest mfg, IIRC.)  That said, s like NAPA
Select batteries...  I've had excellent longevity out of them.  Also,
the one that I did have fail prematurely (which was my fault... let it run
completely empty several times) was replaced under warranty no-questions
asked.  If you do need service, there is a NAPA in just about every podunk
place in the country, while a lot of discount stores concentrate in urban
and suburban areas.  Finally, they are the ONLY place you can get
batteries for a 1973 Porsche 911T.  It uses a very uncommon group size,
and the only other brands I coud find in that size had filling caps that
stuck up too far so you couldnt fit them into the battery boxes (In that
year 911, they used two very small batteries, one on each side, for weight
distribution)

Dan

--
Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.