I think i blew a headgasket!

Yep, that's the exact thing that happens when you blow the headgasket nicely.  If the car ran like crap, then it's definitely your hg and not a leak.  I've heard of people with blown headgaskets that just seep over time, but never seen it.  Mine've always been a big mess that results in some nice and high engine temps.