Reconditioning the Block prior to Head Install

well if you ave the block torn apart (no pistons etc) you can do what I did
and drop it off at local machine shop and get a "hot tank" done
it cleans outside and inside for about 50$.

other than that.. have you tried at autozone, a products called engine
cleaner and detailler CD-2, it worsk REALLY Well for outside skin jobs.