(sorta ot) 16v a/c problem

my brothers friend brought his 2l 16v gti to me today. he complained that
when you turn the a/c on the car jerks hard right. i, thinking he was crazy,
drove the car. cruising along at 35mphs i clicked on the a/c and the car
shot right for the curb. once you gain control the car has a more gentle
pull to the right as long as the a/c is on. with the a/c off the car drives
straight as an arrow. so my question is, how the hell is this possible? the
a/c and suspension are totally unrelated, so why would the car suddenly
develope a pull when the a/c is turned on? any ideas?

So Sayeth The Hitman
'88 "stripe" 16v scirocco
<http://www.techography.net:82/brettsgarage/>