OTish? - oil drain plug what?]

Well, I haven't changed the crush gasket on my 99, and no leaks for sever=
al
oil changes, but maybe the diesel pans are different, I know they are sup=
posed
to be deeper, which is why I spent a lot of time under there yesterday to=
 fix
the plastic belly pan, that'll be the next thing, people will just remove=

those and blast a bunch of sand into those nice fat belts, and it won't b=
pretty. And the belly pan may be part of the problem, you wouldn't see th=
e oil
leaking till it was a LOT of oil. I always run mine a while with it off t=
check, but I'm sure the dealers just slap them on and out they go. But my=

dealership seems to  go too tight on things too, I have a few stripped ho=
les
that can be attributed to their gentle touch. Part of the reason I'm doin=
g my
own work whenever possible. I'll ask about that gasket next time I get an=
 oil
filter though...Just when I thought I had dubs that don't dribble too...
Cathy

"calimus" <calimus@techography.net> wrote:
> Sadly enough, in the last few months, I've been hearing about this exac=
> problem from people that o to the Local VW dealership here where I live=
=2E
> Yes that's right it's the Vortex's favoite dealer, Jim Ellis VW of
> Merrietta.  Our local VW club president had his daugters NB 2.0T oil
changed
> at the dealer as it's part of the service agreement.  Same day just a f=
ew
> hours later, her oil light came on and she pulled off the highway to fi=
nd
> the entire back of the car covered in oil.  While the engine survived, =
the
> turbo did not, so that had to be replaced as well.
> =

> When the car was taken back to the dealership, the service manager ther=
> (while very nice and appoligetic) said that this has been a pluaging
problem
> since if you over tighten the newer oil pan bolts, the pan will get
stripped
> out and you will end up needing a new pan.  Aparently it's "so" easy to=
 do
> that they keep a large stock of them (oil pans) in the repair center ju=
st
in
> case.  Top that off with the new VW/Audi's using a crush gasket witht h=
oil
> drain plug that has to be replaced every time the plug is removed or yo=
> will leak oil.  Not positive on how true that last bit is, but with the=
way
> other things have been going on the newer VW's, I'd prollie believe it.=

> =

> William

live
> > or die issue for somebody. :D
> >

> > I drove over to CT today to pick up a donor Head, and wiring/etc for =
my
> > 2.0/18 16v swap into Caddy #2. To get to where I was going you have t=
o go
> > from Albany NY, into Massachusetts, and then south into Connecticut..=
> get
> > down, meet Brian, get the engine in the back of Caddy #1, and head ho=
me.
> > Gotta love 70 hp :D
> >
> > So Im right at the MA/NY border getting ready to get onto Interstate =
90
> > head back to Albany, and I look over at this gas station, and what do=
> see?
> > A silver VR6 Corrado parked with the hood open. Well, pull a U-turn a=
nd
> head
> > over to see what's going on. I pull up, and its an older guy with his=

> early
> > 20s son, the 1st thing I notice is the pool of oil under the car. The=

> father
> > gets out, and we start to talk. He said the oil light had just come o=
> > suddenly, so he got off the highway, pulled in and parked where he no=
> sat,
> > and he had no clue what was wrong but he had called AAA. My 1st step =
> > diagnosing the issue was to ask when the last time he had the car
> serviced.
> > Oddly enough it had been into a VW repair facility just 2 days prior
> getting
> > an oil change. As with anybody reading this, the bells in my head wen=
> off!
> > I crawled under the car, and what did my finger find? A nice open hol=
e in
> > the back of the oil pan. Great I thought,  I can pull the plug off th=
> > engine I had in the back of the Caddy, but of course that idea wasn't=

very
> > sound,  since it wasn't the right thread pattern..
> >
> > So picture this, sitting on the border of NY, and MA and about 40+ mi=
les
> > from the closest parts supply that I could think of.  After using my =
cell
> > see if anybody had a better idea, I went off on the great drain plug
> search
> > of 2003. Amazingly as I was going past a closed (and very hick) Ford
> > dealership in W.Stockbridge, I noticed a bay open, and cruised in. A =
tech
> > was working on his personal car and had no problems setting me up wit=
the
> > right plug. I barrow a socket and ratchet and headed beck, got the gu=
> > patched up, got oil in it, and it purred like a VR. :D
> >
> > I think the highlight of it all was when I figured out that the plug =
had