16V burns quart of oil per 1000miles

Marko Latrell wrote:

> There is a nice clean 84 Jetta FS on vortex, the car has 300k miles and the engine/tranny has 200k.
>
> I am thinking about buying it. The seller is pretty straightforward and told me that it burns some oil. A quart for every 1000miles is not that bad, right ?
>
> check it out, its a white 4 door GLi. We never got 2 door GLis in the States ?
>
> I think that he took good care of it, and I might buy it on Sat.
>
> thanks and lemme know what you think of it pls.
>
> Marko
> ---
> 87 Scirocco 8v
>
> _______

- 1 qt per 1000 miles isn't _bad_. It could be better but it's on the
good side of the cut off line.

- It might be brought back a bit via MMO and some deglazing of the
internals (rings and such). Also the use of a heavier weight oil may
help. Some.

- The US _did_ get some two door Jettas, but not many. This is the
main reason to get this car. Motors can always be swapped in.

Oops, I see you mention a 4 door. Oh well. Still, given the interior
being in decent shape and the knotchback of an 84 being somewhat
classic now I'd say bargain it down and be happy for a decent people
mover.

TBerk
At one point I had two Jettas, Three Scirocco, Two Rabbits and a
Maserati BiTurbo.