Last HVAC question, I promise!

As I mentioned in my last thread, when I looked under my raintray, I noticed
that one of the PO's had tried to tape up the rectangular opening on the far
passenger side of the HVAC box.  I noticed there is a vacuum system to open
and close a flap here, but it looked as though it hadn't worked for a while.
  So....  what does this do?  Does it switch from fresh air to recirculate
or something like that?  I did notice that with the fan on, it sucks a good
amount of air through the opening.  What do you think the PO was attempting
by taping it closed?

TIA

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA