too much oil!?

I've had problems with overfilling the engine oil before.

In my 1.2 Vauxhall Nova I did a hurried oil change. I followed the fill
instructions for the 1.6 version without realising. I then rushed out onto
the motorway, after about 10 miles the engine was making funny noises (deep
clunking noises from the bottom end) I knew i had to get home as no-one was
available to tow me and I couldn't afford recovery, I got to within 1 mile
of my house on a downhill stretch and BOOM, knocking noise stops but i seem
to have lost 1/4 of the power. I manage the last mile home no probs, pop
the bonnet and find a tennis ball size hole in the back of the block and
oil p*ssing all over the driveway. Later in the day I follow the oil trail
back up the road and find (where it starts) is a bit of metal that was
supposed to be attaching the con rod to the crank.
Whoops!!

My Dad reckons the extra oil in the engine caused the oil pressure to rise
and (at motorway speeds) the crank to meet resistance, causing the con rod
to separate from the crank and Bang.
Strange thing is it still runs, I've moved it off the drive since and then
moved it into a storage yard under it's own power.
I don't know if this same thing could happen with a Scirocco as the engines
are probably quite different in design.

Adam,

                      "Rick Kellner"
                      <rfkellner@snet.ne        To:       <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
                      t>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  RE: too much oil!?
                      scirocco-l-admin@s
                      cirocco.org

                      09/04/2003 11:46

My owner's manual shows 4.7 quarts with the filter change.  I always use
5 quarts and assumed that the small amount that does not drain out of
each quart will make up the 0.3 qt.  I don't' let them sit there and
drain for an extended time, just fill one after the other.  Next oil
change I will save all the containers and check the remainder.
That's what I have been doing for the past 200k.
Rick Kellner.