Help! My scirocco is a humidifier!

So, last night Melissa and I finally got a working clutch & tranny in my 84,
and when driving around in the humid, rainy weather, my vents pour out
visible water vapor like a humidifier.  Because of this, my defroster fogs
the living crap out of all my windows, even when off.  I know it's not
coolant, because it smells like regular water (probably rain water) and
happens with the valve open or closed, etc.  Obviously there is some sick
moisture in my heater somewhere that is somehow (???) coming out in the form
of this vapor.

TIA for any advice.  It's no fun (and dangerous) having to squeegee the
inside of the windshield every 30 seconds!

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA

`84 8v Rocco --  "Bruise"
`85 BMW 318