16v model year differences

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Kevin S wrote:

> Where in Canada was this? I am from BC my intake is on the opposite side,
> but its an 85 Scirocco with a 2.0l swap out of a Jetta.

Here's what I have archived:

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 02:51:36 -0400
From: the mad bastard <the-mad-bastard@home.com>
To: Mash <type53@yahoo.com>, Cathy Boyko <losinit@usa.net>,
     dale witt <dwitt1@satx.rr.com>, Scirocco-L <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>,
     16V Jason <jason@scirocco.org>
Subject: Re: [Re: Differences between 8v and 16v] [Intake on the wrong side]

    well, first off, i will address cathy who was obviously talking to the
same gal that i met last week.  actually, i've met her before (andrea was
it?), only we didn't get a chance to look her car over.

    the car in question is a red 1989 16V rocco, the paint was just redone a
couple of weeks ago.  the intake is indeed on the passenger side of the car.
at the time of production, it is very likely that the parts bin was getting
low for rocco parts, but stocked nice and high in the golf/jetta bins.  so,
instead of doing a limited run of 42mm 16V rocco intakes, they could just
run the mk2 variant, and get the job done just the same.

    my thinking is that they wouldn't be able to legally use the 50mm intake
runners for emissions-legality, plus they would need the euro intake
cam/exhaust/whatever, to get it to run right.  this jive with you folks?

    one really interesting thing of note is that the lower portion of the
intake box is different from that of an A2, IIRC.  i really wish that we
could have pulled it out and got a part number for it, because that unit
would make mk1 16V conversions a damn sight neater, if the goal was to
utilize A2 components.

    ummm...apparently the door seal is A2-style in origin?  i can't confirm,
it was one of the items that the owners boyfriend pointed out to me.

    what else...can't think of anything right now, but i know that i'll be
seeing them again eventually.  when i do, i will demand to see the part
number on the airbox :), and write down all of the various oddities that the
car has going.

    some other tidbits of info on the car as i recall them:  it was
purchased 3 years ago from the original owner, who had the car regularly
dealer-serviced.  the owner was talking to some VW tech dude who swore up
and down that there were only 3 16V sciroccos available (or sold - can't
remember which) in canada for 1989.  2 of them were black, and 1 was red.  i
know one guy that currently has a mint black 89 16V rocco, and i saw another
black one for sale at some dodgy used car lot about 4 years ago.  then there
is this red one.  don't misunderstand me, there were stacks of 89s made, but
only 3 were 16V, or so this dub guy says.

    so, if there were only 3 made/offered/whatever, then chances are very
good that this is a very rare beast indeed.

    that's all i have to offer right now.  i'll get back to you about it.

jason
the mad bastard