Megasquirt wha?

Subject: Re: Megasquirt wha?

> cool.
> how does it run?

The one I installed on my nephew's ABA runs pretty damn good. The engine
runs very strong with minimal tuning. Great throttle response and
driveability, better power than I expected from an ABA with only a 266 cam
and TT exhaust.

> How did u have to tweak it to get it running?

I think tweak is the wrong word. The Megasquirt is programmable. It has an 8
X 8 load vs. RPM matrix. Plus it has settings for starting, cold start
enrichment, accel pump and corrections for  air temp and barometer. It'll
also run closed loop with an O2 sensor and is good enough to pass the
Virginia eminssions test with minimal tuning.

> How much is it assembled?

Buying the parts is ~$125-$150 just for the Megasquirt. For the ABA install
(that comes with TPS, IAT, CLT, injectors and fuel rail) you would need the
Megasquirt, some relays and a fuse, some wiring. ~$200.
If you were going to 'Squirt an 8V you'd need all the sensors and injectors
plus a fuel rail and FPR from a G60 or digi 2.
For a 16V you'd need all the above except you'd need an aftermarket fuel
rail. I'd think you could do a 16V for <$500.

Couple of huge plusses for the 'Squirt are:
1. You enter values for the injector size and how often you intend to fire
them per cycle and the software calculates the max open time (equivalent to
TOG for a TEC II). TEC II and Haltech give you no effing clue what this
number should be so you start in left field instead of 3rd base.
2. Tuning a 'Squirt is dead simple on the fly. The 'Squirt software has
everything you need on one tuning screen and all changes are done in
realtime. 45 minutes from first starting the engine to having a 90% map only
using a narrow band O2. Only way to make the tuning better is using a WB-O2.
With Haltech and TEC II it would take 45 minutes of tuning before you could
try to drive the thing. And surprise, surprise! Out of the Haltech, TEC II
and 'Squirt, guess which one will run closed loop with a WB-O2??? SDS fuel
control is a joke compared to Megasquirt. (just my .02)
3. It will not control all the secondary type stuff a Haltech will control,
but it's tuning map is an 8 X 8 matrix (same size as the TEC II) so it has
plenty of control and will run any type of injector.
4. Cheap! It's so cheap you can build two and carry one as a spare.

In case you can't tell (after installing and tuning a Haltech and a 'Squirt
and partially tuning a TEC II), I am a huge fan of the 'Squirt.

Dan