From: where@maple.circa.ufl.edu
Newsgroups: rec.autos.vw
Subject: re:[W] GTI Tuning
Date: 9 Mar 1994 16:20:53 GMT

  You asked what the differences between an '85 Golf and Golf-GTI were?
'85 Golf=~85Hp 8.5:1 Compression Ratio, standard Hall sender Electronic
Ignition, Bosch K-Lambda Jetronic fuel injection.
'85 Golf-GTI=100Hp 10.0:1 Compression ratio, Knock sensing ignition
system, Bosch KE-Jetronic (3 wire O2 sensor) fuel injection.
   Ok, you asked what difference does the modification that can be done
the '85 Golf-GTI actually do?  Well, I've done it, and here's what it is
and what it does:  The modification consists of cutting the #3 to #11
ground wire within the harness connector for the Knock Sensing Computer.
This modification alters the timing maps used when advancing the engine
timing. I haven't actually checked closely to see where the changes are
but I do know that they change. One redily noticeable point is that the
maximum advance moves from 14BTDC to 16BTDC.  One reported drawback to
this modification is that you have to run 93 Octane gas. I haven't
tested
this throughly, but I will say that it really likes the 93 Octane gas.
   One minor modification to the above is to route an end of the wire
you
are cutting out to the outside of the connector, then to install a small
alligator clip to the end of the #11 wire and ground it when you want to
run "Cheap Gas".  By doing this I can "unmodify" my car by opening the
hood and hooking my #11 wire to a ground (conveniently the end of the #3
wire). :)

  Mark '80 Scirocco_S w/'85 GTI engine (Definitely one "Hot Desert
Wind")