can head bolts be "tightened" mid-use?

well, with standard bolts you can't really do that since they aren't torqued
to a value. it's 1/2 turn past 60 nm or whatever, so i don't know how you'd
spec it.  not to mention they alledgedly stretch, though i've reused them
w/o difficulty and other listers have measured them before and after and
seen no stretch. head studs you can retorque. oh, and the bolts won't loosen
just sitting there anyway. imho, you're more likely to warp a head/strip
something by tightening more than fix something.

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA-->Soon to be New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...