Clutch Release Problems

Well folks, here I am, Knee deep in my son's '82 Scirocco restoration
project, and my daughter's '83 Rabbit GTI  goes and  craps out. I have been
using this as MY everyday driver (until she gets her license that is).
Yesterday, went to shift and the peddle goes to the floor! Not able to
shift! Ah Ha, I thought, broken cable. (Not the first time I've done that by
the way) Hey, but wait a minute. The cable is fine. Limped it back home, and
pull into the driveway, and I have pressure on the clutch again. It is good
for about three shifts, then gone.
I am suspecting a stripped shift lever, or broken spring, release bearing or
arm. I get a light rattle from the bearing, once it goes.  (any ideas)
Anyway, question is, the Bentley is a bit unclear if I have to remove the
tranny in order to remove the shift lever housing. Can it be done in the
vehicle?  I know it would be easier to work on, but I spent the summer
already under the Scirocco removing engines and transmissions.
While I am thinking of it, I had to swap the fuel distributor out of the
Scirocco with one from an 83 US Rabbit. It has the frequency valve assembly.
Any ideas if it will run OK on the '82. Canadian cars did not use this
assembly in '82 (no O2 sensor, or cat converter) I know the car it came off
was running so rich, the plugs were coated in soot and so was the tail pipe.
You could smell the unburned gas.

Bill

82 Scirocco (1.8)
83 Rabbit GTi