question about tranny seals-

--0-1122245143-1033253152=:73057

Hey all, I'm replacing my drive flange seals.  Ok I've gotten the seals out, and everything is ready to go back in, but I'm sure the new seal requires lubrication first.  Both my Bentley and my Haynes say to use multipurpose grease on the "open" end of the seal.  What's the open end?  The end that goes against the tranny(well the green surround thing to be specific) or the one that surrounds the drive flange?  Also, if the "open" end is the side that geos against the tranny, should I lube the inside of the seal(the part that goes against the flange) with tranny fluid?  The Bentley doesn't say to do so but it makes sense to me-  thanks in advance,

Rob