What would you do? (long)

Whole story -

I got a 4k from a list member.  I found it by posting for a transmission
for the parts manager at the VW dealership that I use to work at (and
still get hefty discounts ).  Ed, the parts manager, traded me a new
performance hydo cam and install labor for my old 9a (140,000 miles on
it).  I traded the hydo cam and $275 for a 88 16v Gti, but that's
another story.  This all happened about a month ago.  Tonight, I found
out that Ed went to tighten the drain plug on the 9a, only to find out
that there is now a hole in the  casing :( . I definitely don't want to
burn this bridge.  I thought that the cam-tranny swap was in Ed's
favor.  Should I just not worry about it?  This is one reason that I
hate selling old stuff.  If I buy something old, my expectations are
very low, but not everyone thinks that way.  Tell me what you think.
--
Kervin
80 1.7 8v Ole Paul sold to the great north