SMS Repairablity?

--- HowlingMonkey16v@aol.com wrote:
> 1. Is it damage only to the housing, or is it internal as well?
> (please oh
> please let it only be external)

There's a good chance something inside is bad enough to require
replacement.  I have seen 1/2 SMS'd trannies (broken rivets, no holes
yet) that were fine inside, others that were crap inside.  Ask Wes.  If
it was shifting and generally behaving OK before the SMS, and you
didn't drive it without oil, then I'd be optimistic that the internals
are OK.  And if you're swapping case halves, you're already into in up
to your elbow, so new/good used bearings, new synchros, etc. are easy
at that point.  Check hubs and sliders carefully!!

> 2. If it is only external can I use the housing from a 2y of FF to
> repair and save the tranny? I have both laying around.

Mix and match case halves?  Yup, did it.  No worries.  Set your diff
bearing preload per Bentley.

> 3. Is one of these housing better suited for the job?

AFAIK, your preference, look at the reverse switches and use what you
prefer.  Use whichever shifter forks and shifter arm were on the
gearbox side.

HTH,

=====
Cheapass Ron