[16v] Timing marks. Where and how?

--- joshhignight@techography.net wrote:
>    Okay, let me make sure I've got these straight...
>
> Cam - line in cam sprocket. rotated CCW is retarding, CW is advancing.

Correct

> Crank - line in crank pulley. Also small "o" on flywheel.

Yes, definitely check that the crank pulley mark lines up with the
lower timing belt cover mark... then double check this by lookling
to make sure the flywheel is lined up correctly.  I found that true TDC
on my car the mark on the crank pulley is actually a little off...
just make sure it's lined up right on your car.

> Dist. - line on dist. housing (under cap). Also, "V" groove on flywheel= 6*
> advanced. Rotating Dist. CW advances, CCW retards.

Yes, 6 degrees advance is good (the diamond mark on the flywheel).

> When rotating, I am looking straight on at the component. So CW for the cam
> sprocket is CCW for the Dist. when rotated in the same direction.
>
> Now, when I turn my cam timing advanced by 1 tooth (~8* right?), where will
> my dist. in relation to where it was prior to changing the cam timing?

I think that one cam sprocket tooth is more like ~6 degrees.
If you change the cam timing, then you have to re-check the ignition
timing.  If advancing the cam timing, the distributor will need to be
moved CW to compensate.  You still want the ignition timing to be about
6 degrees advanced.

> Also, what recommendations might you folks have on timing for my 16v. It's
> the 2008cc, forged pistons, balanced, high compression (like 11:1 or maybe
> more), stock head/fuel/ignition/cams, and 0-100 ft. elevation. I'm playing
> around with it trying to avoid pinging but still get that really nice
> performance it shoudl have. Torque is NICE when cam and crank are at 0 and
> dist. is at 4-6, but it pings occasionally and there's hardly anything up
> top. Intercam timing hasn't been messed with since the factory AFAIK. Also I
> am having to run rather rich to keep it from pinging, and my idle way to
> erratic because of that.

Hmm... with the higher compression, you may only be able to get away with
3-4 degrees advance... not really sure actually.  Cam timing will drastically
affect the powerband.  You definitely know what you're doing, so keep trying
different settings... cause every engine is unique.

Good luck Josh!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v