rieger auto-x #2

    ...so i got to test out my rebuilt front suspension today at the auto-x. FTD
was 19.5, my best time was 22.5, scoring me a 1st place in novice. took forever
to get the car dialed in properly, but everyone got 6 runs, which was cool.

here was my setup: factory rubber bushings except for poly rear uppers and poly
front sway. yoko avs intermediates all around, 3mm tread rear, 1mm tread front.
koni adjustables on neuspeed softsports.
track: very tight short course. crappy asphalt:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image53.htm
... as nobody could seem to get any decent grip.
setup: rears maxed (2 turns), fronts 1/2 to max (1 turn).
pressures: rears - 40 psi, fronts - 32 psi (couldnt go lower or i'd roll em
over).

my runs went well. grip was horrible. when i finally started getting some grip
and making some lift-oversteer attempts, i was kept in check as the softsports
started folding coils.

pics:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image18.htm
^ waiting patiently for its turn
1st run:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image54.htm
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image55.htm
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image56.htm
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image57.htm
^ forgot where the turn was, thats me in the middle of backing up.
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image58.htm
obviously my worst run, as it involved reverse :) 30.5 or something (but still
quicker than some people).
other runs:
the guy borrowing my camera got up on this high grass barrier, ended up getting
some pretty nice pics:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image65.htm
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image66.htm
^ see? even the rieger can lift an inside rear, even if they do weigh like #50 a
piece :)

here was something simply amazing:
http://scirocco.dhs.org/vw/pics/e-scca%20auto-x/imagepages/image73.htm
...which ran a 19.7 or something. not FTD but damn close.
heres the kicker, he was in a wheelchair. the guy drives with his right hand and
has a throttle/brake actuator which he uses with his left. i dunno about you,
but i have a hard enough time keeping my car on course with both hands on the
wheel :).

i've got some movies of the rieger in action. i'll have to upload em some other
time. i've gotta take a cool shower and recover from my roasting i got out there
today.
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 180k, rocco #6) < one trophy heavier
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (dotting 'i's across the country, rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)