Pool of gear oil on the pavement...

Technically, it's an OT post. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Ge=
orge
and Elaine switch roles "Oh no, I've become George"...

Well, the Jetta is the headache of late, the alternator was on the table =
two
days ago, and now this...it's a slammed 87 Turbo diesel with 400 000 kms =
on it
for those not familiar. This is my son's water aspirating wonder from the=

Waterfest trip.

Anyway, the poor "too low" Jetta came home on the flatbed, and has a huge=
 leak
of gear oil. I can't see yet from where, but not the diff or the axle sea=
ls,
and not anywhere obvious on the bell housing. The LHS CV joints are both =
shot
(the outer one merrily clicks up and down when you jiggle the axle, and t=
he
inner boot is torn with no sign of grease, also not good.) The axle does =
not
turn when you move the car forward apparently.  But where is this gear oi=
likely coming from? Could the axle be flopping around so badly that the f=
lange
leaks? Then why isn't it coming from the usual area adjacent to the diff?=
 (the
Rocco has had axle seal leaks, and nothing from that location) The outsid=
e of
the inner CV boot is wet with it, no mistaking the smell, and there is a =
lot
of it. I could smell it before it got off the flatbed, and it ran down th=
e bed
when he tipped it up. So it's a lot. Anyway, any ideas appreciated, I'm s=
ure
it'll become clear shortly, the axle's coming off anyway, but it'd be goo=
d to
know what we're in for. He just sold a diesel tranny last week for too li=
ttle
money, typical. But thanks. The fun just never stops. Maybe a matched pai=
r of
Cavaliers would be less hassle. Or some Tauri.

Rocco content: Nothing major, it just got a bath...being a "bad" car...

Cathy, on to get the TDI dealt with next...