16V valves not resurfaceable???

OK, dopey here just followed Johns link to Shannon's site, and I found
the other pages from his book.  Boy I'd like an original of that.

One thing bugged me...on one page (engine5_scirocco16vdotcom.jpg) it
clearly states "under no circumstances should either the exhaust or
intake valves be resurfaced."  Say WHAT?  Anyone ever heard of this
ca-ca?  More importantly, who's done a 16V head, had the valves ground,
and had any problems with it??  (yes I know the exhaust valves are
sodium filled, the machinist I use knows that and hasn't commented on
any problems).

Say it isn't so...

=====
Cheapass Ron