[16v] Shaving your head?

First, a little terminology, the "40,000" you refer to is actually
0.040" , or commonly, "forty thousandths" of an inch.  That's a fair
bit for milling a head.  IIRC your thumbnail is around 0.035", for
comparison.

I'd compare the lifts of stock cams to some of the wilder ones out
there, so you can see how far they're opening the valves.  If the lift
of a wild cam is 0.040" more than yours, and stock headgaskets are OK
as far as thickness, you *should* be OK.  Your margin for disaster is
surely lower now in case your timing belt breaks, but prolly not more
than what it was.

Be prepared to handle your now very high compression!  High octane
fuel, little advance, maybe water injection, etc. may be required.

Ron

--- "Jason F. Snow" <jason_f_snow@nac.net> wrote:
> The machine shop shaved my 16v to 40,000...I was told by a mechanic
> that
> if they shaved it that far the head is no good. The machine shop told
> me
> they have done "race heads" for the 16v and shaved it to 50,000. I
> have
> Autotech cams and a stock head gasket. Would I need a "shim" to make
> sure the valves don't hit the pistons, or will I be alright with the
> stock gasket...opinions?
>
> TIA
>
> Jason F. Snow
> Information Technology Consultant