exposed to atmosphere, the sensor puts out ~.12v (ignition on, engine off).
my old sensor was black, which either made it fail, or is the result of the
failure i guess. anyway, problem #1 solved.
#2-timing. took off the valve cover again, double checked cam timing. sure
enough, when the cams are timed correctly, the sprocket is one tooth off. so
i guess it was put on wrong. put everything right. now when i set the timing
at 7' at the flywheel, it was ~13' at the sprocket (taking into account that
the mark was a tooth off). this i don't understand. when the flywheel is
tdc, sprocket was still where i set it (tdc+1 tooth), ie correct. weird.
brett, was this what you were talking about? would the shaved head change
the length of the timing belt by 6'? i doubt it at .012", but...
#3-idle. cured by 1 and 2 (and idle screw).  rock solid at 900rpm, though
lump lumpy. no problems with stalling/rpm drop now though.
#4- unexpected problem. oil everywhere under hood. uh oh. hard to tell where
from. all over back/side/top of engine. mucho on the valve cover, so i hoped
it was oil cover. replaced, cleaned, didn't see it leaking from the head.
yet. crossing fingers.

sooo. it now runs good, feels real strong above 5k, straight to red line.
problem? it's no faster than before.  timed it on my normal stretch of road.
  what do i have to do to get this faster than a stock 1.8? argh. i want to
play with the adjustable cam gear, and maybe correct for that weird timing
thing. where do i move it to shift the torque curve down? i feel like i run
out of tach before i run out of power now. sorry for yet another long post,
but at least it's mostly good news now...

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...