2.0l 16v swap update: Problems.

Well, got the head bolted up no problem (thanks to all who replied with
the hammer-the-dowel-out-the-bottom solution), lifted the motor in
to place and bolted up all the motor mounts (including my new rear vw
motorsport mount).

Hooked up all the electrical, water and air stuff. Put on the belts,
exhaust, intake, axles, etc. All set to go except for fuel.

I was really set on finishing tonight so I could drive the car out of my
friend's garage and return the engine hoist I borrowed. But..

When I picked up the upper airbox and fuel dist. assembly I got a nice
soaking of fuel.. it was leaking everywhere! I figured it was the union on
the inlet to the fuel filter and I went out and bought two new copper
sealing washers just to be safe. Put those on and it was still leaking
like crazy. Then I flipped it over and noticed that there was a small hole
punched in the casing of the fuel filter where it has the integral
hex fitting for you to put a wrench on to hold the filter while tightening
the unions. My parts place closes at 6pm and it was 5:57 !! I called up
some other places and they had nothing but FRAM filters in stock. No way
in hell I'm putting that crap on my car. Oh well, I figure I'll get a new
filter tomorrow and the problem will go away.

So I went on to fill the cooling system. Added about 5/8 of a gallon of
water and 5/8 gallon of antifreeze then suddenly I heard water hitting the
concrete floor. Crap. I figured that I'd left a hose clamp off even though
I double checked that they were all connected. Further inspection revealed
that it appeared to be the hose that plugs in to the bottom of the coolant
flange on the front of the head. But after pulling the hose off and
prodding it with my fingers extensively I couldn't find any leak. Then I
noticed the puddle of antifreeze on the front of the block by the knock
sensor. As best as I can tell it is coming from the flange on the front of
the head itself.

So I need to get a new gasket for the coolant flange for the front of the
head. I remember when I pulled it off that the triangular gasket looked
like absolute shit - it was all rotted out and baked flat. A wadded up
napkin would probably have done a better job sealing. The flange on the
side of the head was just as bad but doesn't appear to be leaking yet.
Nevertheless, I plan on changing it because I fear it will let go as soon
as the cooling system pressurizes.

It's too bad that nobody mentioned these things or I would have gotten
them ahead of time. That's why I'm mentioning them now (for other people).
The gaskets look like they're original! It's amazing what 15 years of heat
and pressure can do to rubber..

Anyway.. I'm hoping that that front coolant flange is the same on all 16v
motors so there will be a chance that my parts place will have the o-ring
(or the whole flange, I don't care as long as its less than $20) in stock.

Maybe if I'm lucky it will be the same on 8v's too, who knows.

I guess if they don't have it I will have to RTV the old one and
hope it holds until the new one arrives. At which point I will have to
drain the coolant again to change it (sigh). I already pissed away a
couple dollars worth of antifreeze and distilled water on the garage
floor. *sigh*

I wanna drive my 'roc again! 2.0 baby...

-Toby