Clutch stuff (help needed!)

-Mk1-

A few weeks ago I took to replacing the clutch on my '81.  Ever since I
got it, it seemes to engage very high in the clutch pedal travel, and
recently it started slipping under hard acceleration, so I figured it
was shot.  Pulled everything, turned out the clutch and pressure plate
were both okay, but a leaking rear main seal was causing my problems.
 Replaced the seal, replaced the clutch (I had the Sachs set in my
basement for a year), and now all is good.

-Mk2-

My current problem.  '84, 1.8 JH, 4K. A few months ago I was pulling to
a stop sign, pushed in the clutch pedal and it went POP and that was it,
the clutch pedal wasn't activating the clutch release, so the clutch
wouldn't disengage.  Limped home (started and drove home in first, 4
blocks), did some investigation.  Clutch pedal was fine, teh firewall
connection was okay.  Pulled the green end cap, the pushrod wasn't
pushing back.  The general list consensus was pushrod punch-through of
the push plate.  Fast forward to last week.  Got parts from Potterman.
 Pulled my tranny, the push plate is fine.  It is a recent Sachs
replacement, done by the PO a couple years ago, it's now on it's third
engine.  Everything looked okay, nothing seemed broken, no oil on
anything, nothing.  I checked the pressure plate, and all the fingers
and springs seemed okay, but it was the only thing I could see that
could cause problems.  I had an old pressure plate on one of my spare
motors (JH).  It wasn't a Sachs, and it did look a little different, but
I figured it would work.  So I installed the new (different) PP, bolted
everything back up, and the clutch pedal felt perfect, just like it used
to (with the car shut off).  I started it, and this is what happened:

Reverse would engage with a CRUNCH if I pushed it in fast, if I went
slow I could hear and feel the gears grinding.  First, Second, Fourth
and Fifth would not engage, it was like pushing against a rubber wall.
 I could get Third with no problem.

My guess is that the old pressure plate had something broken in it and
wasn't releasing the clutch.  The new pressure plate and the Sachs disk
aren't compatible, so the clutch won't disengage.  I'm thinking I need a
new Sachs pressure plate or a new clutch set to remedy the situation, I
see there is a 16v plate on Potters site for an 8v upgrade, would this
be usable?

So many questions......

Nate
'81