5th Gear Conversion

  Using the transmission chart and calculator on the .org site I mapped out
several transmissions and what MPH they sit at 3500rpm to figure out
something similar to your question; needing something that doesn't overwhelm
my little 1.6 in 5th like the FN does. Of course I'm sure your 16V doesn't
suffer from such anemic power, so a taller 5th gear won't be such a drag on
your motor.

Your 4K:  3.94final drive, 0.89 5th, should sit at 67mph @3.5K rpm.
With a 0.71 5th (FN), should be 84mph @ 3.5K rpm, a fairly wide drop from 4th
to 5th in an otherwise stock 4K.
  If you do the gear swap, let us know how it goes for you. I'm looking at
doing a similar gear change using a 9A, but with a slightly taller 4th and
5th from an APW/DFN.

Carl
77rocco
89fox

scirocco93210@yahoo.com writes:

<<   Who here has done a 5th gear conversion on their
 trannies?  I have a 4k tranny and I'm sick of running
 at 4000+ rpms on the interstate.  I usually cruise at
 80-90 mph for about an hour (lots of open stretches of
 road in central california).  Are the gears from the
 FN or FF too tall for a stock 16v?  I'm not really
 looking for performance in 5th, that is what
 downshifting is for.  Anyone have these parts laying
 around?$?$

 Luis