MK2 cluster "foil" question

i had a 160 cluster with a bad "foil" and i understood from someone that the
tach circuitry was the reason that you couldnt do that, so i bought a 140
cluster with the same tach and foil and just swapped the speedo.  maybe you
can tho, in which case i wasted my money because i have a 120 cluster laying
here too.  i know that doesnt help but i am just chiming in.

Tony Morehead
1987 16v Scirocco