Timing troubles

I have the same problem. The guy I bought the car from attached the fly
wheel incorrectly.

Remove spark plug #1 and use a long screw driver or better yet, a piece of
the plastic vaccumn line inserted in to the engine. Roll the engine to where
the rotor on the dist points to the #1 mark.
Watch as the plastic tubing rises in the spark plug hole.
Move the engine back & forth till up see the tubing has risen to the highest
point. This is TDC. mark the fly wheel with white chalk.
reassemble the engine, then try the timing.

this works on 8's & 16's.

Better yet? remove the transaxle and re-position the fly wheel.

>From: "William" <drizzet@techography.net>
>To: "Scirocco" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: Timing troubles
>Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 07:24:53 -0400
>
>Ok ppl I know their are two timing marks.  One that don't move and the one
>one the flywheel.  Well how are you suppose to set the timing when the
>fixed timing mark is not their.  William (Calimus) and my self have looked
>everywere we can think of but see no fixed timing mark.  So how an I
>suppose to set the timming if all the marks are not their???
>

>    William F

Julie Macfarlane
Web Developer
Albany NY
Charter Member "Scirocco Anonymous"
'85 8v-?? "Scarlett" (frankly, she doesn't give a d**n)
'81 16v-2Y "Animal"
ICQ: 7704980
http://216.153.141.3/scirocco/