15" vs 16" weight / nice rim spec site too

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 21:47:51 -0400 "Scirocco-Al"
<scirocco-Al@insight.rr.com> writes:
> My 13 x 9's with the old Hoosier bias ply Auto-x tires on them
> weighed about
> 13.5 lbs each.  I switched to Khumo's this year because they were
> cheap.
> They are heavy though, I think the wheel and tire now weigh about
> 28lbs.
>
> Alan

Those Autocrossers (bias ply tires) are a trip to drive on. They like a
good 15 Deg slip angle (meaning you dont brake going into a corner, turn
in and slide it til it sticks and yo, it sticks!) Really fun on a RWD car
but once you learn to trust them, they're fast. The regular
Hoosier/Kuhmo's only like about a 5 deg slip angle so you gotta drive
them a little more. Still fast, different driving techniques.

The weight difference -could- be the reason the Hoosiers are faster than
the much heavier Kuhmo's. Tire compound is more than likely the REAL
reason (Treadwear rating of ZERO for the Hoosiers, 40 or 80? for the
Kuhmo's.) but the Kuhmo's do last much longer. Im getting about 6 months
out of the Kuhmo's (Dad co-drives the Vette so we get double the tire
wear.... that and he doesnt really know how to drive so the tires take a
little more abuse than they should. )

Hey, the price is right, aint it! I like em! $600 for the Vette and just
a hair over $400 for the Roc. Not bad.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.